Get the #1 New York Car Accident Lawyer
We Help Victims of Car Accidents File & Fight Car Accident Claims- One of the Highest Success Rates in the City
Have you been involved in a car accident in Huntington? Have you suffered serious injuries that necessitated hospitalization and forced you to miss work?
Car accidents are, in many cases, life-altering. And, depending on the severity of the injuries, you may need to take time off work or stop working completely. It’s also possible that you won’t be able to perform the same job you did previously and that you’ll need to pay for treatment. And these are just the financial impacts.
Injuries from a car accident also bring on emotional and mental trauma.
That is why, if you have been injured in a car accident, you should immediately contact a car accident lawyer to find out if you are eligible for compensation. At Silverstein & Kahn P.C., we pride ourselves on offering the best legal representation in car accident cases in Huntington.
So, are you prepared for a case review?
A Car Accident Can Happen to You Anywhere in Huntington
When you go jogging in the morning, make a quick run to the store, or drive to work, the last thing on your mind is that you could be the victim of a car accident. Car accidents happen way too often in New York and the rest of the country.
According to recent statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, New York ranks #7 on the list of deadliest states you can drive in, in the US. On average, 1,087 New Yorkers die in car accidents every year; that is 1.6 times higher than the national average. For the injured, the figure is much higher, at 12,093 hospitalizations and 136,913 emergency room visits.
In short, the chances of being involved in an accident if you are on the road a lot are quite high. Therefore, it is always important to be prepared for situations like this. Here are the essential steps to take:
- Determine if you are injured- or anyone else for that matter- and if so, call emergency medical services.
- Next, you want to file a police report, letting the authorities handle the situation further.
- If you are able to move, move away from the road while you wait for assistance. Try not to strain yourself much if you are injured.
- Try to get as much information as you can about what happened.
- Contact Silverstein & Kahn P.C. personal injury law firm for further assistance.
Causes of Car Accidents in Huntington, NY
Accidents in cars can happen for a variety of reasons. And unfortunately, the majority of motor vehicle accidents are from avoidable human errors. That said, here’s a look at some common cases of vehicular accidents in Huntington:
Distracted driving is one of the top causes of car collisions and accidents in the city. So much so that about 1 in 3 car crashes are from distracted driving. Now distracted driving occurs when a driver takes their eyes off the road, and sometimes their hands off the wheel too, to focus on something else, such as a phone call or text message.
A good number of auto accidents in Huntington are caused by speeding. When you speed, it becomes harder to stop or control the vehicle in case something unexpected happens, like another motorist stopping abruptly or someone crossing the road. Speeding is actually one of the most common offenses people get pulled over by the police for.
Unfortunately, around 30% of all traffic crash fatalities reported in the US are from drunk driving. Despite the law and heavy penalties for drunk driving, people still exceed the legal alcohol limit and get on the road. And these accidents often lead to death or serious, incapacitating injuries.
When driving, you must keep a safe distance between you and the car in front of you. However, some roads are often congested, especially during rush hours, making this almost impossible. Unfortunately, tailgating causes numerous accidents in the city every year.
In some cases, auto accidents are not because of the driver’s negligence or misconduct. Defective roads, due to poor construction or maintenance by the responsible authorities, also cause a significant percentage of accidents. Some examples of these defects include potholes, sharp curves, obscured signage, and uneven terrain, to name a few.
Defective Cars or Parts
In other cases, problems with the vehicle may cause the driver to collide with another motorist or, worse, veer off the road and hit a pedestrian. For instance, the brakes failing to initiate, the accelerator sticking or breaking, the wheel breaking, causing loss of control or airbags deploying without notice. For this type of reason, the manufacturer is often held liable.
Breaking Traffic Laws
It is not once we see two drivers ignoring traffic laws when driving in the city. However, laws exist for a reason, usually to maintain order and smooth traffic flow. If ignored, then two or more people end up colliding. Failing to stop at signs, give way where necessary or follow traffic lights results in thousands of accidents in the country annually.
Not sure if your type of car accident qualifies you for compensation? Don’t worry; that is the reason we are here. We will examine your case in depth and advise you on whether you should file a claim.
So, Who Can You Sue?
Establishing who to sue for your car accident injuries is just as difficult as figuring out if you have a case in the first place. Now, as a resident of Huntington, the first party you should consider is your own insurance company. The state of New York has what’s known as no-fault insurance, which basically means that you can claim your and even your passengers’ medical expenses and lost wages from the accident, regardless of who is found at fault.
However, insurance companies, being businesses, will do everything possible to find fault in your claim to deny or limit your payout. This brings us back to why you need a New York accident lawyer to fight for your rights.
That said, the compensation from your insurance provider may be inadequate to cover all the costs you have incurred. In this case, we step in as your lawyers to determine if there are other responsible parties you can file a personal injury lawsuit against.
Depending on the intricacies of your case, you can hold any of the following parties liable:
- Other car drivers
- Your driver, in case you were a passenger.
- A passenger in your vehicle
- Bus drivers
- Truck drivers
- Truck companies
- Transit companies
- Employers of negligent drivers
- Vehicle manufacturers
- Cab companies such as Lyft and Uber
- Taxi drivers
- Government agencies
Once we have identified the liable party, we will build a strong car accident claim for you to claim the highest possible settlement for your injuries.
The Types of Damages We Can Help You Claim After Car Accident Injuries
Now that you know who you can sue, what damages can our experienced car accident lawyer help you claim? First of all, we stand out as the best car accident lawyers in the city because we leave no stone untouched in proving car accident claims.
Now, damages you can add to your car accident claim can be economic, non-economic, or both. For economic damages, we mean:
- Medical bills: that is, the expenses for hospitalization, medicine, doctor’s appointments, and commuting to and from appointments.
- Future medical costs: you can also demand any expected medical services you will need for the injuries.
- Nursing care or therapy: if you have used or need nursing care or therapy after release from the hospital, you can also include the expenses in your car accident claim.
- Lost wages: this includes the days you have missed work and the future estimated time you will need to heal before going back to work. In the case of permanent disability, the figure can include your lifetime earning capacity.
- Reduced income: sometimes, your injuries may cause you not to be able to go back to the job you were doing, therefore, reducing your earning capabilities. We can help you sue for this too.
- Cost of damaged property: it could be that your valuables were damaged during the accident, for instance, your phone, computer, etc. These, too, can add to the settlement figure.
As for non-economic damages, our car accident attorney can help you estimate damages for the following:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, and anxiety
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Loss of enjoyment or quality of life
What Can Our Car Accident Lawyer Do for You?
So, you are probably wondering what car accident attorneys do on behalf of car accident victims. Well, a lawyer handles everything regarding your settlement from the moment you accept their representation.
At Silverstein & Kahn P.C., we do more than file your car accident lawsuit. Our duty of care includes:
- Listening to your version of events before we begin investigating.
- Conducting an in-depth examination of all the available information regarding your accident, including the events right up to and after the accident.
- Gathering additional evidence to strengthen your car accident case. This includes collecting police reports, witness statements, any available security footage, and so on.
- Communicating and negotiating with the parties involved, including your insurance provider or a liable party’s insurance.
- Consulting with medical and other relevant experts to get expert statements and build a solid claim.
- Using our expertise and experience to disapprove any accusations that you have some liability for the accident. This is something liable parties will try to do to defend themselves and avoid paying a settlement.
- Guiding, supporting, and updating you during the entire process.
As you can see, with our car accident lawyers, you do not really have to do anything except narrate the events of the accident as you remember. We do all the heavy lifting and do our best to ensure you get the justice you deserve.
Why Silverstein & Kahn P.C. Accident Lawyers?
Are you looking for the best car accident lawyer for your claim? While there may be overwhelming evidence of negligence or carelessness, the complexity of personal injury law may make it hard for you to get what you rightfully deserve.
At Silverstein & Kahn P.C., we have tasked ourselves to fight personal injury cases, including car accident claims, for victims who have sustained serious injuries.
We are the best in the city because of the following reasons:
33+ Years in Business
We have been in the industry long enough to not only understand personal injury law in detail but also learn the inner workings of the justice system. So, we know what boxes your personal injury claim needs to tick to help you win.
Millions in Settlements Won
In the time we have been in practice, we have won more than $50 million in settlements and counting. So, not only do we do our best to help you win, but we also work to ensure those winnings are more than sufficient.
Local, Family-Owned Firm
Our lawyers are part of the Huntington community and are driven by more than money. Our mission is to help families shoulder the burden of car accident injuries and not have to worry about mounting expenses again.
We Come to You
In many cases, our clients are usually still in recovery when they file their claims. So, we are as flexible as possible. You don’t have to come to our offices. Our New York car accident lawyer can meet you where you are most comfortable, whether at your home or the hospital.
Has a Car Accident Affected Your Life Negatively? Let’s Help You Recover Compensation for Your Injuries
An auto accident can change the course of your life in seconds. And while some victims make a full recovery, others carry the effects of the injuries for life. That said, Silverstein & Kahn P.C. is here to make things easier for you by helping you recover compensation from the liable parties. We have experience working on car accident lawsuits and have won millions for our clients.