Top-Rated Slip & Fall Accident Lawyers in Huntington, New York
We Help Slip, and Fall Accident Victims Successfully Claim Damages for Serious Injuries Sustained
You tripped and fell on someone else’s property?
Unfortunately, slips and falls are far too common in the United States. According to the CDC’s latest slip and fall accident statistics, more than 800,000 people are hospitalized from fall injuries all over the country every year. The numbers are worse among older people, with at least 3 million ER visits for fall injuries. The most common of these injuries are usually head injuries and hip fractures.
Still, many falls are caused by things that can be fixed, such as an unsafe staircase, a wet floor, or loose carpets. If this is the case for you, you can sue the liable party for damages and costs directly related to your injury. The best part? Silverstein & Kahn P.C.’s personal injury law firm is here to help you with the litigation process and ensure you get the justice you deserve.
Not sure your fall injury qualifies? Consult with an experienced slip-and-fall accident lawyer today!
What Are Some Frequent Slip-and-Fall Accident Causes?
Slip and fall accidents happen far more often than you’d expect and can arise from different situations. They can also occur anywhere, whether outdoors or indoors, on commercial or private properties. At Silverstein & Kahn P.C., we have dealt with slip and fall accidents resulting from all kinds of hazards. But the most common ones include:
- Cracked, worn down, or uneven floors
- Hidden or uncovered holes
- Loose floorboards
- Wet floors with no warning signs present
- Objects or obstructions on floors and pathways
- Poorly lit areas
- Unsafe ladders
- Dangerous stairways, including those lacking or having loose handrails
- Elevator malfunctions
- Uncleared snow or ice on pathways
These hazards are usually considered avoidable and within the property owners’ responsibility. So, they are expected to remedy such situations as soon as they discover them.
Had a Slip and Fall Accident? Here’s What You Should Do
A slip and, consequently, fall happens suddenly and unexpectedly. So, when it happens to you, you may not know what to do. Now, every slip and fall accident and resulting injury is different. But based on our experience, we recommend that you follow these critical steps:
- Seek medical attention: remember, your health and safety are your number one priority after an accident.
- Report to the property owner: make sure they are aware of the incident from the get-go and keep a copy of the report for yourself.
- Collect and keep all the evidence you can find: take pictures of the area, as this will act as proof of negligence. Don’t forget to talk to any witnesses of the slip and fall accident, if available, and get their names and contact information.
- If there are cameras on the premises, take photos of them, as our fall attorney can ask for the surveillance footage later.
- Keep records/ receipts of all your accident-related expenses: these include medical bills, any property damaged during the fall, and so on.
- Call our slip-and-fall accident lawyers immediately for further assistance.
Remember, time is of the essence when it comes to slip-and-fall injury claims. In New York, any person injured in a fall accident on another person’s property has a maximum of three years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. But the earlier you talk to a lawyer and get started with the process, the easier and faster it will be to prove your claim.
Why You Should Get a Slip and Fall Accident Attorney
If you have been injured in a slip and fall incident, the best step you can take after seeking treatment is to contact a qualified slip and fall lawyer. First of all, you likely don’t know anything about the litigation process, including who to hold liable, how to file, or even how much to ask for.
Getting a lawyer to sue for settlement for your fall injury comes with several benefits. For one, they know the intricacies of fall injury cases like yours. So, they can help you build a solid claim a lot faster and more accurately than you would yourself. Plus, they know their way around the local judicial system in Huntington, something that will work to your advantage.
Two, a slip-and-fall lawyer will help you collect all the evidence available to make your settlement claim more likely to be successful. While you may have gathered some evidence for your case, you never know what you have probably missed that could be useful. In other cases, some evidence, such as surveillance footage, may be difficult for you to find without professional assistance. The more proof you have for your case, the easier it is to get a settlement.
Three, and perhaps most important, a lawyer will help you calculate damages and identify who is liable. A personal injury lawsuit is of no use unless you can prove liability on the part of the property owner or management. So, an attorney will look at your case in-depth to find the negligent party. Plus, they will look at the injuries suffered and calculate the settlement you deserve.
Lastly, your lawyer will also represent you during the settlement negotiation process, making sure your best interests are protected. In many cases, these negotiations are between the injury victim, which is you, and the liable party’s insurance company.
As you can see, a slip-and-fall attorney takes the headache out of personal injury litigation. So, you have someone fighting for justice on your behalf while you focus on healing from your severe injuries and getting back to normal life.
What Kind of Injuries Can You Sue for Under Slip and Fall in Huntington, NY?
When it comes to slip and fall accidents, injuries differ based on the nature and impact of the fall. Age, in many cases, also influences the severity of the injuries.
With that in mind, the most common types of injuries we have encountered here in Huntington include the following:
- Spinal cord injuries: a slip and fall can cause part of the vertebrae to move out of place, causing serious and quite painful spinal cord injury.
- Head injuries: unfortunately, the majority of concussions and traumatic brain injuries are a result of falls.
- Hip fractures: nearly all hip fractures occur because of a slip and fall. Hip fractures from falls are especially common in older people.
- Broken bones: bone fractures are also pretty common from fall injuries and, depending on the location of the injury, may need long-term treatment and recovery.
- Neck injuries (whiplash): the neck muscles, tendons, and ligaments may be damaged by the sudden, violent movement from a fall.
- Wrist, elbow, and shoulder injuries: these injuries often happen you try to brace yourself for the impact of the fall.
This list is by no means exhaustive. So, don’t worry if your type of injury is not on the list. That said, you have to have sustained severe injuries to qualify for settlement. That are injuries that require serious medical treatment. So, minor sprains, strains, or scratches will not hold any water at the negotiation table or court.
Who is Liable for Your Slip and Fall?
If you have suffered injury as a result of a slip and fall on someone else’s property, you might be wondering who is liable for your injuries. As your fall accident lawyers, it is our job to figure out who is at fault and serve them with a lawsuit.
Usually, liability lies in one of these three parties:
- The property owner: this includes the business, building, or land owner.
- Property manager: in some cases, the property management company may be to blame.
- Lessor or Lessee: you could also sue the person leasing out the property (landlord) or the leaseholder (tenant).
- Government/ municipality: if you have been injured in a government building, you could hold the government liable. If an accident happens in a public walkway, you could get the municipality to pay you for damages.
That said, it is not uncommon for several people to share liability for your serious injuries. The best way to know who is at fault and, consequently, sue the right person is to talk to a fallen lawyer from our firm.
What Are Some Damages You Can Seek After Your Accident?
In many cases, slip-and-fall victims don’t know how much they can claim. And unfortunately, many never really get to recover the compensation they deserve. That is why working with competent fall accident lawyers is so important. You can calculate damages with much better precision.
So, what kind of damages can you seek? To come up with the right figure, we assess the following:
- Medical bills: this category includes all medical expenses, including past, present and future, until you make a full recovery.
- Lost wages: we also look at all the earnings you have lost and stand to lose by being away from work.
- Injury-related expenses: for instance, childcare as a result of your being hospitalized or unable to care for your child
- Non-economic damages: this includes pain, suffering, and mental torture
- Punitive damages: this compensation is usually paid on top of compensatory damages and is commonly awarded where the liable party’s actions are particularly outrageous.
If the victim dies from the injuries, a family member can seek wrongful death damages.
What Makes Our Law Firm the Best Choice?
Now, there’s no doubt that you want to get the best fall accident attorneys for your case. And you have probably seen or looked at a couple of options. So, why is Silverstein & Kahn P.C. the real deal?
Decades of Combined Experience
One thing about our law firm is we have been here, representing victims of slip and fall accidents, longer than almost every other firm in Huntington and the greater New York area. Founding partners Larry Silverstein and Ira Kahn have a combined 70 years in personal injury and accident cases. As for our law firm, it has been in existence for more than three and a half decades.
Deep Understanding of the Law & NY Judicial System
We thoroughly understand personal injury law as well as how the New York state court system works. Having worked on hundreds of cases for decades, we know what works and what doesn’t for a fall accident case.
A Track Record of Success
When fall accidents happen, victims are not usually prepared for the huge unexpected financial burden. Here, we do everything possible to win fair compensation for fall accident victims. And so far, we have recovered more than $50 million in damages for our clients. So, trust that our fall injury lawyer will do their best to help you win compensation for your fall-related injuries.
Dedicated, Personalized Attention
We understand how much the serious injury has affected your life and prioritize bringing you justice by holding the negligent property owner liable. We will dedicate the necessary time and attention to investigating, building, and negotiating your claim. More importantly, we personalize our lawyer-client communication to fit your needs.
Sustained Slip and Fall Injuries on Someone’s Property? Let’s Assess Your Case & Advise You on Filing Compensation
Slip and fall injuries can be severe and long-lasting. And such injuries can dramatically change your life physically, financially, and mentally. Now, if your injuries were a result of someone’s neglect, for instance, the property owner failing to repair a faulty stairway, you can file for economic and non-economic damages.
At Silverstein & Kahn P.C., we have qualified, skilled, and experienced slip and fall attorneys in Huntington ready to assist. From hip to spinal cord injury, we have helped fall victims with injuries of all kinds.
So, schedule a free consultation with slip-and-fall lawyers, and let’s start building your case. Call us at (631) 424-6850 today.